Friday, February 20, 2009

a new experience

So, I hope that you never have to experience what I experienced today. Though it was my choice, but nonetheless, I hope you don't have to. Today, I visited a friend in jail. About 3 weeks ago, I was told that a friend of mine, Nate, was back in jail due to a DUI. Now, from the beginning... About a year ago, I met Nate and we became friends. I learned that he had just been released from jail from a DUI, and was on probation. He was working really hard to live day to day, but still wanted to have fun while living. We saw each other every once in a while, and developed a good relationship. Well, right before Christmas, Nate was drinking, and driving, and wrecked his car, again. He is lucky to be alive. It broke my heart to hear a friend of mine would be so wreckless. It took me a few weeks to decide to go visit him. Well, today was the day. I went. It was a new and different experience for me. I of course was naive to the entire process. It took about an hour to actually get into the visiting area. Once I got there, I walked through a door, and saw a bunch of "booths" which I had to walk around to find Nate. I finally found him, and he seemed really excited to see me. There was a glass door between us, and I had to pick up a phone to talk to him. Just like the movies. We had one hour to visit, and I had to stay the entire hour. At first, I was worried I wouldn't be able to fill that hour, but once we started talking, it was easy. I don't know what I was worried about. He told me that he was over the drinking, and the problems that come with it. He knew he had a drinking problem, and was ready to face it head on. He wants to get into a rehab once he gets out. I saw the sadness that such a life had passed over his eyes. He told me that he was reading The Bible again, and can't wait to start over. I felt the desire in him. I could see the happiness coming out of him when he talked about his new life.

I can't stop thinking about how blessed I am to be free of such addictions in my life. Growing up in the church, we don't really get exposed to situations and "friends with situations" like others do. These "situations" are such a stress and headaches in lives, that it just doesn't make much sense to me. I have been blessed with wonderful parents to teach and show me the way. I have been blessed with wonderful sisters that set such a great example to me. I have been blessed to have the knowledge of the gospel that teaches me from right and wrong. I have been blessed with friends that have made it easy to choose the right.

Thank you all.

3 comments:

Krystal said...

Scary!! But it's good that he has a friend to come visit him!

tutu with love said...

That was a very courageous thing for you to do. I am grateful that none of you girls had to experience addictions that could rule your life.

You are a wonderful friend to have.

Brandi said...

oh wow Gin, what a good friend you are to go and visit him... I am proud of you!